LB574 has been scheduled for debate by the Nebraska Legislature beginning tomorrow Tuesday, March 21. It is expected that the bill will take the full eight hours allowed for General File debate before a vote for cloture. This means that debates will continue through Wednesday with an anticipated vote on Thursday.
Dr. Erin Feichtinger, Policy Director Of Women’s Fund has pointed out some things to consider:
- You can join the Women’s Fund and Out Nebraska at the Capitol for any part of this debate, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday – come on any or all of those days.
- The Legislature convenes every morning at 9 a.m. and will debate until lunch, typically around noon or 12:30.
- There will not be any debate in the afternoon as there will still be public hearings in Committees.
- If you are coming to the Capitol, the group will be packing both the Rotunda and the balcony to show opposition to this harmful legislation. Senators need to know that Nebraskans are watching and that there is no place for this type of hate on our watch.
- The vote on Thursday may or may not be the final vote on LB574. In Nebraska, we have three rounds of debate on every bill. This week is the first round of debate for LB574 (called General File). If the introducer fails to get 33 votes to end debate (called “cloture”) on Thursday, then the bill will not advance to the next round of debate.
- If you cannot make it to the Capitol, please email your Senator TODAY and tell them to vote NO on LB574.
- Find your Senator here: https://nebraskalegislature.gov/senators/senator_find.php
To encourage our senators to vote in opposition to LB371, which would prohibit an individual under nineteen years of age or under twenty-one years of age from being present at a drag show as prescribed:
Enter LB 371 in the Search Bills field in the upper right corner.
Click on the long bar labeled Submit Comments Online for LB371
Fill out the required fields, if you object to this bill, mark Opponent.
You don’t need to comment on this, but if you do, simply requesting a yes or no vote is enough, as this is how they are tallied.
Submit before noon on Thursday, March 23
Hearing: Friday, March 24